Today, this piece went under the "chopping block". The first thing I did was apply a coat of semi-transparent white encaustic wax. Next, I textured the surface with a lot of different tools. Although I have an idea in my mind of what I'd like to do with it, the painting is already beginning to take on a life of its own, and the idea I had may fall by the wayside. I need to remain flexible, observant, and ready to seize an opportunity if it presents itself, i.e., listen to what the painting is telling me to do. Here are some process photos of some of the many changes this painting is quickly undergoing. I will keep adding images as things progress so if you're already horrified, just wait! It could get a lot worse (and probably will, before it gets better!).
Only time will tell-- stay tuned :). I welcome your feedback so feel free to post comments and/or questions!
Upper Right: With the ventilation going, I used a bit of Gamblin solvent to remove a bit of the white, revealing a bit of what was below. One of the last things I did here was take a sharp, curved tool to gouge out the circles which are over the mid-tone grey area. The mid-tone grey is graphite grey pigment stick.
Lower Left: I had originally used graphite grey pigment stick over the white after it was highly textured to enhance all the marks. The majority was removed, but the haze was still there but it's very light so the overall value is still very light. Nonetheless, when scraping, the thin grey is removed revealing the brighter white beneath. I tried to use this effect strategically as I added various darks and opaque and transparent glazes.
Lower Right: At first, I wasn't thrilled with the yellow and greenish grey shapes, but after rubbing a bit more graphite grey over the top and removing it, I added the dark vertical dark, and later, the bit of red, which can be seen a little better in the whole painting.